Questions To Ask When Buying A House

Have you got a question regarding your sale or purchase?

Take a look at our Residential Conveyancing Frequently Asked Questions or contact one of our team to find out more for free.

If you require any advice from one of our specialist lawyers or seek a quotation we are only a phone call or email away. Our team at Lovedays Solicitors are happy to discuss the details of any transaction free of charge and provide a no-obligation fixed quotation for your conveyancing requirements.

I cannot rate Lovedays highly enough. They are approachable, responsive and thorough, and exceeded my expectations this time by completing the transaction a week ahead of an already very tight deadline
VCV, Tarporley
Get A Free Quote

If you would like to receive a bespoke quotation for your transaction, please call us on 01629 56660 or you can enter the information online.

Whether you are based in Matlock, Wirksworth or anywhere across England and Wales we will be able to help. We have over 100-year history of helping the people of Derbyshire and the surrounding areas.

Residential Conveyancing Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take?

With conveyancing, it varies how long it takes depending on the searches required and factors such as the other party in the transaction. Generally, with a straight forward transaction, we would expect to complete within 8-12 weeks.

What is the process of selling a property?

Please click here to find out more information

What is the process of buying a property?

Please click here to find out more information

What’s the difference between freehold and leasehold?

Freehold is where you own the property outright and the land on which it stands.

Leasehold is a way of owning a property for a fixed term but not the land on which it stands. It will be subject to the payment of annual ground rent. When the lease expires the ownership of the property reverts to the freeholder.

Leaseholds can vary in length but usually are between 99 years and 999 years.  Mortgage lenders like there to be at least 50 years left on the lease after the mortgage term expires. This means that if you take out a 25-year mortgage you need at least 75 years left on the lease.

Can you act for my sale and purchase?

Yes, we can act for you in both your own sale and purchase if there is no conflict of interest. Click here to find out more details.

Can you act for both the person buying the property and the person selling the property?

Usually, this would not be allowed as there is a conflict of interest. There are exceptions such as if the firms have two offices and each office acts for a different party. We can do this however we would not recommend it. We would always advise that you have independent legal advice to make sure that your lawyer is acting in your best interests.

Do you still get deeds to a property?

In short no. With all new transactions, the land must be registered with the Land Registry. The title documents are held electronically at the Land Registry. It may be that the land in question is unregistered. If this is the case the land will have to be registered with the land registry during the transaction. We can do this for you. Contact us for more details.

What is a chain transaction?

A chain is where people buy and sell properties with linked transactions. The chain can vary in length dependant on the number of people who wish to buy and sell in the same transition. The issue with a chain is that you must sell your property first to release the money to allow you to buy. However, each transaction is separate and therefore the speed of progress of all the transactions relies on the slowest. Also, if one transaction fails then it can mean that all the transactions in the chain fail.

Who will act for me?

One of our specialists will act for you if you instruct us. If you would like to know more about our team, please click here.

How much will it cost?

If you would like to receive a bespoke quotation for your transaction, please call us on 01629 56660 or you can enter the information online and we will call you back.

Alternatively, you can click here to find more details of the likely costs.

Free Guide

If you don’t know your leasehold from your freehold, then get our Free Conveyancing Guide. It contains details about the steps you will need to take with any property transactions. The Guide giving you detailed guidance on what your lawyer will be doing for you and what to look out for.

About Lovedays

Lovedays Solicitors, Potter and Co Solicitors and Andrew Macbeth Cash and Co Solicitors are the trading names of Derbyshire Legal Services Limited which is a company registered in England and Wales under company number 08838592. Registered office Sherwood House, 1 Snitterton Road, Matlock, Derbyshire, DE4 3LZ.

Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under SRA ID number 637916.

  • (01629) 582308
  • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Sherwood House
    1 Snitterton Road
    DE4 3LZ

© Copyright 2019 Derbyshire Legal Services Limited | Website by WebWorks Design