Health and Welfare Lasting Power of Attorney
Do you want someone to make decisions on your behalf about how you are cared for?
If you are concerned that you may in the future lose your capacity to make decisions for yourself. You might want to consider a Health and Welfare Lasting power of attorney.
‘Everyone I dealt with was pleasant, courteous, helpful and concerned.’
Miss K Foster
Do I need a Health and Welfare Lasting power of attorney?
If you can’t let people know what your wishes are you may be placed in a care home when in fact you wished to stay at home for as long as possible. You may also have medical treatments or procedures which you would not have had if you had been able to communicate your wishes.
Having a Health and Welfare Lasting power of attorney means that you can choose who will be able to make these decisions.
You can choose a family member or trusted friend to make decisions about your health and care such as:-
- Liaising with Social Services to help you stay in your own home
- If necessary choosing a nursing or residential home
- Assisting in day-to-day issues such as diet, dress or daily routines
- If you wish, the ability to refuse life-sustaining treatment on your behalf
- An LPA for Health and Care can only be used when you have lost mental capacity, but again you can set out restrictions and guidance as to how you wish it to be used and plan ahead
Anyone who acts for you will have to follow a Code for Conduct laid down by the law and must act in your best interests and (where possible) under your guidance.
When should I make one?
In short as soon as possible. You never know when you will have an accident or Illness. You can only make an LPA when you have the mental capacity to do so.
If you lose capacity without making an LPA someone may have to apply for a deputyship on your behalf. They may not know what your wishes were and therefore cannot take these into account.
The sooner you make a Health and Welfare Lasting Power of Attorney the sooner you know your wishes will be considered if something was to happen.
Want to make a Lasting Power of Attorney?
Alternativity you can make ask for an appointment now.
Why Choose Us?
- Delivering a first class legal service for over 100 years.
- We combine our local knowledge with up-to-date legal practices and technology to ensure that your needs are met and your expectations fulfilled.
- There are no hidden charges with any of the work we carry out for clients.