Domestic Abuse Lawyers In Matlock Derbyshire

Any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical sexual financial or emotional) between adults who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.

If you are the victim of domestic abuse and you feel in danger or threatened you should contact the Police. If you would like to know how we can help you please either call us on 01629 56660 or make a Free Online Enquiry.

We can help you

  1. Get the protection you need from further abuse.
  2. Obtain the support you need in what is a difficult time. You should be aware of the impact of the abuse upon your mental, emotional and physical health and obtain help and support.
  3. Discuss how to get support for your children. You need to be aware of the impact of that abusive behaviour on any children.
  4. Gather evidence of the abuse. You may be (subject to consideration of your financial eligibility) entitled to claim Legal Aid to assist with the costs of legal advice and representation.

Domestic abuse of whatever form is unacceptable. No one should be made to feel threatened or scared within their relationship. However, simply walking away is not always easy.

In the first instance always contact the police for assistance.

Non-Molestation and Occupation Orders (Injunctions)

There are two main types of injunctions available under Part IV of the Family Law Act 1996:
A Non-Molestation Order;

An injunction is a Court Order that requires someone to do or not to do something. A non-molestation order is a type of injunction. This is aimed at preventing your partner or ex-partner from using or threatening violence against you or your child, or intimidating, harassing or pestering you, in order to ensure the health, safety and well-being of yourself and any children.

An Occupation Order

This is an order by the court that is made to regulate the legal rights of people who can usually occupy the home. It dictates who can live in the family home and who cannot continue to live there.

It can also be used to restrict your abuser from entering the surrounding area where the home is situated.

Additionally, the court has the power to regulate various matters regarding the home such as payment of rent or mortgage.

If you do not feel safe continuing to live with your partner, or if you have left the home because of violence but want to return and exclude your abuser, you may want to apply for an Occupation Order.

Breach of Orders

A breach of a Non-molestation Order is a criminal offence.  You can still take your abuser back to the civil court for breaking the Order if you prefer this.  If you already have an Occupation order, you may have a Power of Arrest attached.  These powers come into effect if your abuser breaks the order.

Breach of a Non-molestation Order is also automatically a criminal offence and so your abuser should be arrested if the Order is breached.  Occupation Orders are treated differently and a separate Power of Arrest will still be needed.

Who is eligible to apply for an injunction?

In order for you to apply for these Orders, you must be an “associated person”.  This means you and your partner or ex-partner must be related or associated with each other in one of the following ways:

  • you are or have been married to each other;
  • you are or have been in a civil partnership with each other;
  • you live together or have lived together as a couple (including same-sex couples);
  • you live or have lived in the same household;
  • you are relatives;
  • you are or have been engaged to each other;
  • you have a child together;
  • you were both involved in the same family proceedings e.g. divorce or child contact.

If you are not eligible to apply for an injunction under the Family Law Act, you can also get civil injunctions under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.  You can also get a Restraining Order attached when criminal proceedings have been taken if the court believes you are likely to be at risk.  Restraining Orders can provide the same protection as injunctions under civil law but may be more effective as they can carry stronger penalties.

If you are applying for an Occupation Order you either have to have a legal right to occupy the home (as joint or sole tenant or owner), or you have to be or have been married to, or living with, an opposite-sex partner who is the owner or tenant.  When making an Occupation Order, the court may make other related Orders imposing obligations on you or your abuser, e.g. relating to repair and maintenance of the home or to payment of rent or mortgage. Occupation Orders can be applied to either remove a person from a property or to gain entry.

Injunctions are normally for a specified period of time, e.g. six months, but can be renewed.  They can be made “until further Order”.

Going to Court

Applications for injunctions under the Family Law Act 1996 dealt with at the Family court.  The application will be in a closed court and no-one who is not directly concerned with your case will be allowed in.  This means that you will be able to take in your solicitor but will not normally be allowed to take in a friend or other supporter, although they can stay in the waiting room.

How long does it take to get an injunction?

If you are in immediate danger an application can be made to the Court on the same day without your abuser being there.  This is called a “without notice” application.  The court will need to consider whether or not you are at risk of harm, or whether you will be prevented or deterred from applying if you have to wait for your abuser to be served with notice, or whether your abuser is avoiding being served.  If the court grants a “without notice” Order, you will have to return to court for a full hearing once your abuser has been served with the notice.

What evidence will be needed?

You will need to make a statement about the physical and emotional abuse you have experienced.  You should be as precise as possible about all the ways you have been physically and emotionally harmed, the dates and times (if you have them) and the effects on you and your children.  It will help if you have kept a record of past events or if you have independent evidence such as police or medical reports.


The court sometimes suggests that instead of an injunction, the abuser should make an undertaking (a promise) to the court in the same terms as the application you were making.  The difference with an undertaking is that breach constitutes contempt of court and so can still be dealt with by the court in the same way as a breach of an Order, but a Power of Arrest cannot be attached and the person giving the undertaking normally does so without making any admissions as to the conduct alleged.

Make An Enquiry

If you would like to get in touch with us please either call us on 01629 56660 or make a Free Online Enquiry.

To request an appointment please click here

  • Dealing with Joanne at Lovedays Family department was always a positive experience. She made sure I fully understood my legal situation and her communication style, always so clear and concise, helped me navigate my way through a difficult time.

  • I worked with Joanne Joyce and the team at Lovedays when my relationship broke down suddenly and I needed to understand my next steps in what was both a frightening, unexpected and complicated situation. Joanne was both supportive and informative and helped me gain closure swiftly, cleanly and without prolonged mitigation. I would recommend Lovedays highly to anybody who needs legal support.
  • Joanne was absolutely brilliant throughout the whole process of my family matter. Joanne provided sound pragmatic advice whilst being empathetic and truly supportive. Joanne was always quick and responsive at all times and always provided such sound advice, which I am and always will be so grateful for. Super professional service all around, delivered in a friendly and relaxed manner whilst providing reassurance at one of the most difficult and testing points in your life. I would not hesitate in recommending Joanne.

    About Lovedays

    Lovedays Solicitors, Potter and Co Solicitors and Andrew Macbeth Cash and Co Solicitors are the trading names of Derbyshire Legal Services Limited which is a company registered in England and Wales under company number 08838592. Registered office Sherwood House, 1 Snitterton Road, Matlock, Derbyshire, DE4 3LZ.

    Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under SRA ID number 637916.

    • (01629) 582308
    • This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    • Sherwood House
      1 Snitterton Road
      DE4 3LZ

    © Copyright 2019 Derbyshire Legal Services Limited | Website by WebWorks Design